Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Sega Mania Magazine Project

Last updated on 4 months ago
S
slider1983Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hi,

Not sure how useful this is for people but this was recommended to me on Galaxy Sega's Facebook page: https://segamagazines.com/?mc_cid=d83...5724ec4d1f

Again not sure if Kiwi can make use of any of these scans. I am hoping of course these scans aren't from people here but come from people who are working for the Sega Mania crew (one of the writers recently put up for sale most if not all the Sega Power mags).
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 6 months ago
It would take someone who cares more than I do to confirm, but it wouldn't surprise me if most if not all of those mags were obtained elsewhere. I'm not an aficionado of any of those mags, but I can confirm that the Sonic the Comic issues they're uploading are the same (low quality) ones that have been available for years which they had nothing to do with.

It takes balls to set up a patreon for uploading other people's scans which are already available elsewhere...
S
slider1983Member
Posted 5 months ago
Considering Kiwi hasn't responded to this thread I guess he's okay with that then?
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 5 months ago
I imagine Kiwi hasn't responded for the same reason I hadn't given the site a second thought since my last post a month ago - it's not a site worth discussing since it isn't contributing anything to the scanning scene. I took another glance at it, and I'm not sure if I just overlooked it the first time or if it got added in the meantime, but way at the bottom in TEENY TINY print they make it clear that they're just posting other people's scans:

Please let it be noted that we were not responsible for scanning these magazines. That work was done by many passionate and dedicated individuals over the years. We are simply bringing that hard work into one unified place!

Dunno if the word needs another site dedicated to scraping the internet for Sega scans (we've already got RetroSega/RetroCDN for that), but there's no rule saying everyone has to spend their free time productively, so they're free to do whatever they're gonna do. There will always be people who find those mags via their site that might not have ever stumbled across the sites that actually scanned the mags in the first place, so they can always take pride in reaching those people. Sure, they have just directed people to the sites they themselves found the files at in the first place, but maybe their visitors have no interest in visiting other websites, who knows. Honestly, I think the only people who have the the slightest interest in where mags originate and who is responsible for scanning them are people who are scanners themselves. Which again is why Kiwi (as a scanner) isn't going to take any notice of a site posting nothing but other people's files.
S
slider1983Member
Posted 4 months ago

kitsunebi wrote:

Which again is why Kiwi (as a scanner) isn't going to take any notice of a site posting nothing but other people's files.
I agree. My only concern is if money was exchanged for the mags. Since Kiwi was really wind up by Archive.org just wanted to make sure this was wasn't happening here as well. But if Kiwi is happy I'm happy, just trying to remain vigilant. Smile
Edited by slider1983 on 17/07/2022, 4 months ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.