Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Website Suggestion

Last updated on 3 months ago
S
slider1983
Posted 4 months ago
Hi Kiwi,

I'm liking the new website. Have however bene having a problem with one thing and I don't know if it's because I haven't discovered something yet. Just wondered whether when you finished migrating the content whether you could offer to have a place which lists all magazine titles from A-Z. I found that incredibly helpful on the old website.

Thanks. Smile
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
I realize the site is still in the nascent stages, so no rush on anything, but I suppose this may as well be a thread for posting wishlists of tweaks to the site to make it better (granted, there are going to be limits on what the software allows.)

I agree that the skinny list of mags in semi-alphabetical, semi-random order on the right side of the page is rather difficult to navigate, a step down from the previous version of the site. What would be a huge improvement is if, when clicking the link to "downloads," rather than just bringing up a 300-page list showing every download link in the order they were uploaded, it would be great if the "download" page contained a more easily readable/organized list of magazine titles which would link to those mags' available downloads.

Other changes:
It would be nice if the download categories listed the magazines in alphabetical order rather than oldest-->newest. That way, issue 1 would come first, and the rest of the issues would be displayed in numerical order, rather than whatever random order they were uploaded in, as they are currently.

Probably not possible without hiring someone to recode the software, but it's a shame that the thumbnail images for all magazine covers is a square, cropping off the bottom quarter of the cover. Would be nice if it could display the full cover.

I've mentioned this to Kiwi already, but it would be nice if there were more notification options. I see that you can check a box to be notified of replies to one of your own forum posts, but there seems to be no such option to be notified of comments left on downloads. So anyone posting a comment or question on a download page will probably never have that comment be seen by the uploader, since they will not be notified that a comment was left (and of course they would never have a reason otherwise to look at their own download pages.)

Last, anybody out there with art/design skills wanna try designing a snappier header? I know minimalism is in right now, but... Pfft
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
The downloads ARE meant to be in name order ...... BUT ...... I just may have forgotten to tell Jason about that particular switch when he started adding files/categories to the site. My bad!!! I have corrected CGW but just make a thread called "categories sorted wrong" and add any that you find need fixing and I will work my way through them as they arise.

Minimalist logo ....... yep ...... I just added that because I was sick of the PHP-Fusion banner. The thing is, there are a lot of what appear to be nice colored themes out there. I have ben too busy adding files/members to spend much time on anything else. That or visiting my mother in hospital of late, so it just hasn't been a priority. A member submitted a logo too so there are options however once I get some downtime after finishing adding files back onto the new site I intend having a look at the themes and deciding on one or two that make the grade. At that point I will think about getting a logo that works in with those themes.
S
slider1983
Posted 4 months ago

Kiwi wrote:

@Kiwi - The downloads ARE meant to be in name order ...... BUT ...... I just may have forgotten to tell Jason about that particular switch when he started adding files/categories to the site. My bad!!!
I had no idea. That explains why clicking on downloads brings up PC Games UK first.
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
That is caused by the ordering of the categories themselves .... I think .....

The actual issues inside each category can be ordered by date of submission or by name. Obviously name is more beneficial but I just have to set the category up correctly.
S
slider1983
Posted 4 months ago

Kiwi wrote:

The actual issues inside each category can be ordered by date of submission or by name. Obviously name is more beneficial but I just have to set the category up correctly.
Thanks.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
First off, let me preface this by saying once again that I REALIZE that the site is still in development, and any criticisms/suggestions for the site are NOT meant to indicate any sort of impatience with seeing them implemented. Don't worry be happy. Wink

Kiwi wrote:

@Kiwi - That is caused by the ordering of the categories themselves .... I think .....

Actually, clicking on "Downloads" will by default bring up ALL downloads, sorted by upload order (oldest first.) So the newest uploads will always be on the last page. Once the page is loaded, there are links on the top right to change the sorting order (Most Downloaded, Most Recent, Most Comments, Top Rated Download), but navigate away from OGM and come back, and the downloads will again be sorted in default upload order again with PC Games UK at the top.

The order of titles on the sidebar is a separate issue entirely, I think.

Both are problematic, I think. While I suppose it's nice to be able to sort all the downloads in multiple ways, to be honest, the only useful sorting order is "Most Recent," since it would be the fastest way to see which files have been added to the site since last you checked. All recent files would appear on the first few pages, making them easily discoverable. But considering there are currently almost 300 pages of downloads, the default sorting order of "Oldest First" is completely useless, as no one is likely to want to browse through 300 pages of mags organized in no discernible order (just whatever order Kiwi/Jason arbitrarily decided to upload in).

As I mentioned before, I wish there was a way to view a list of mags on the Downloads page, not just on the sidebar. The sidebar is very cramped, and with the mags split up into not-always-intuitive categories (which themselves are not alphabetically arranged), finding a title I'm looking for isn't easy. And with just a one-character offset between category and magazine title, it isn't even easy to tell the difference between a category title and a magazine title (maybe putting the categories in bold-face would improve clarity?) I'll be honest, I've taken to using Windows' CTRL-F search function to look for mag titles, since it's faster and easier than finding them in the sidebar.

Putting the list of magazine titles in a more easily viewed location somewhere other than the sidebar (whether sorted in alphabetical sections, like on the previous OGM, or on system-based categories, like the current side-bar seems to be, would make browsing magazine titles a lot easier. I personally prefer the way it was on the most recent version of OGM, but even if the mags are split as they are now, if the list was moved off of the sidebar and given some more room to be viewed, it would help. Also, making sure that not only the magazine titles within the categories, but also the categories themselves are in alphabetical order, would be a big improvement in usability.
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Don't take any replies to comments/suggestions as me being annoyed. Far from it in fact!!

I know there are issues with the site, however, I believe the positives of the site outweigh the negatives and the positives of the old Joomla platform. I am the one driving the whole backend to keep the site running and it really was a one man band with Joomla. With PHP-Fusion Jason is more comfortable with updating the site so for myself it really makes it a less stressful proposition. Add to that kitsunebi is now uploading his own submissions so all I have to do is setup the download link and approve the magazine. This means I have one less thing to deal with and he can add whatever information to the page for the issue in question so potentially making releases more informative. All of these add up to less stress on me.

There is a "Pages" module. I am perfectly aware of the ordering and displaying of categories. I need to look through the code to see if there is a way to order those better but the pages module allows me to potentially setup dedicated pages for systems and then hotlink to the appropriate mags for a system which would solve some of the comments around the categories right? But, as I said before, my first priority is getting the content back online again, both new and existing, so until that happens the layout of the site remains as it is.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Sounds promising. As said earlier, things mentioned in this thread are a wishlist. Without any actual knowledge of PHP-Fusion, I have no idea what is actually possible to implement.

Btw, I'm not sure if it's possible to set the categories in the sidebar to bold font in order to distinguish them from magazine titles, but looking at the sidebar again, part of the problem is that any time a magazine's title is too long to fit onto one line, it continues onto the next line without being indented, making it look indistinguishable from a category title. The amount of titles affected this way will increase if the display is zoomed in at all, but even at 100%, many titles are affected in this way:
(in this image, at a glance it seems there are categories for: Commodore, Amiga Review, International, and Commodore (again) Pfft
i.postimg.cc/bvTk4r9L/Untitled-1.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
I've changed the Category to Commodore (Home Computers) as C64/128/Vic/Amiga etc made it too long. That solves one issue. But you cant blame me for a wanky publisher deciding to make Australian Commodore Review for a name then change it to Australian Commodore and Amiga Review THEN change it again to Australian Amiga Review.

For longer names I could potentially shorten them to A.C.R and put the full name in the subheading but that means people have to know what they mean when looking at the category list.

That's why the "Pages" feature might make things easier as I can setup one page as a category master displaying categories with associated mags links below that. The ugly part will be keeping it updated.
S
slider1983
Posted 3 months ago
When the more pressing stuff gets sorted out it might be an idea to add links to magazines when they were retitled. For instance there's S-The Sega Mag which then became Sega Power which then became Saturn Power. I don't believe this has been implemented yet? Would provide more continuity for readers. If browsing Sega Power for instance you could have a link to S-The Sega Mag on the left and Saturn Power on the right.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.