Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

New Releases 07/2021

Last updated on 1 year ago
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 1 year ago

The size difference is because I was using a higher compression level on my earlier scans.

OK, but unless you compiled the new CBR from your original jpg scans (which I doubt you still have), that isn't the issue. I assume you extracted the images from the old PDF. At that point, their maximum quality is set, since they've already been compressed. Re-saving them with no compression whatsoever would result in a similar filesize, since the files aren't being changed. Likewise, (speaking for Photoshop, anyway), taking a jpg that has been previously saved at a certain compression level and then re-saving it at that same compression level will result in a file of a similar filesize. For the files to increase in size by 65%, they're being resampled at a lower compression level that's not actually preserving any additional quality (since there's no additional quality to be had), but is making them larger than the original filesize. Photoshop compression level 11 and 12 will do this as well, which is why no one uses them.

You can make your files as big as you want, of course. All I'm saying is that, unlike a new scan, where saving with low compression may preserve some image quality evident in the original scanned images, this appears to be a case where images which have already been compressed for the PDF have been extracted and then saved again at a level that only bloats the filesize. Just something to keep in mind if you continue with such conversions.
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
I know but that is the current preset on all of my profiles and I couldn't be bothered creating a new profile or altering the current one. I'm just lazy I guess!! Smile
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
andynick continues his sterling work scanning PC Gamer (UK) with issue 205 added to the download area.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/pcgameruk-205.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
He follows that with yet another issue of NGamer with issue 65 now available. Awesome!!

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/ngamer-uk-65.jpg
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 1 year ago
Dengeki PlayStation Vol.101 is now available for downloading here: http://oldgamemags.net/infusions/down...?cat_id=57. In 1999, the PS1 was in its prime, though change was on the way, with this issue featuring an article of news and speculation about the upcoming (and still unnamed) successor that would ultimately become the best selling console of all time, the PS2.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/dp_101_kitsunebi_001.jpg

電撃PlayStation Vol.101 1999年3月26日号
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
Personally, I think the Nintendo DS family figures should incorporate the 3DS given it's direct lineage and the newer consoles backward compatibility with DS cartridges. If that were the case then they would exceed PS2 sales handsomely.
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 1 year ago
While I strongly disagree that the DS and 3DS families of systems should be classified the same simply based on lineage and backward compatibility, if you really want to play that game, they still lose out, since that would mean that the PS1 and PS2 would be classified together, thus outselling the combined DS/3DS families by around 30 million.
E
etphonehome1973Member
Posted 1 year ago
THX for all the sharing, specially PC Gamer issues.Like
S
slider1983Member
Posted 1 year ago
Thanks for these scans guys. Speaking of brightness I ended up rescanning one GamesMaster mag a couple of days ago that was uploaded a few years ago partly due to lack of brightness. The option is there if you want it. Smile
MarkMarkJunior Member
Posted 1 year ago
I hate to say this, but I agree with Kitsunebi... Feck!
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 1 year ago

Mark wrote:

@Mark - I hate to say this, but I agree with Kitsunebi... Feck!

You have learned much, young one.

slider1983 wrote:

@slider1983 - . Speaking of brightness I ended up rescanning one GamesMaster mag a couple of days ago that was uploaded a few years ago partly due to lack of brightness. The option is there if you want it. Smile

Unless there are other serious flaws, I think Kiwi's decision to take a few minutes to batch process the entire mag is a little more sensible. Rescanning an entire mag when all it needs is a brightness adjustment is like cooking up a batch of pasta sauce, tasting it, saying, "hmm...needs more salt," and then tossing the entire batch into the garbage and starting over, instead of just...adding some salt.
S
slider1983Member
Posted 1 year ago

kitsunebi wrote:

Unless there are other serious flaws, I think Kiwi's decision to take a few minutes to batch process the entire mag is a little more sensible. Rescanning an entire mag when all it needs is a brightness adjustment is like cooking up a batch of pasta sauce, tasting it, saying, "hmm...needs more salt," and then tossing the entire batch into the garbage and starting over, instead of just...adding some salt.
I agree with what you're saying that's why I said 'partly'. Smile
kitsunebikitsunebiAdmin
Posted 1 year ago
Gotcha. What you're saying is that you decided to throw out the sauce and make a new batch partly because it needed more salt, and partly because there was a dead rat floating in it. Wink Personally, I'd blame the rat entirely and I wouldn't even mention salt as factoring into the decision.
At any rate, I think that existing scans being converted to a different file format and occasionally getting a slight facelift in the process is a separate issue from mags in need of a re-scan.
S
slider1983Member
Posted 1 year ago

kitsunebi wrote:

@kitsunebi - Gotcha. What you're saying is that you decided to throw out the sauce and make a new batch partly because it needed more salt, and partly because there was a dead rat floating in it. Wink Personally, I'd blame the rat entirely and I wouldn't even mention salt as factoring into the decision.
At any rate, I think that existing scans being converted to a different file format and occasionally getting a slight facelift in the process is a separate issue from mags in need of a re-scan.
Okay. Like
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
andynick delights us with issue 29 of Xbox Gamer. What a great way to start the week off...... Like

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/xbox-gamer-029.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
Dreamcast Magazine (JPN) issue 108 has been scanned. Once again thanks go out to GunyenTony for the physical copy.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/dreamcast-jpn-108.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
Atomic MPC issue 10 gets an update.

The first fifty issues were made available on CD on the covers of issues 50/51. Unfortunately, due to flooding of the publishers premises the advertising materials for the first twenty five or so issues were destroyed so they replaced the pages with a generic image, just as Imagine did with their crappy CD releases for Retro Gamer and Games tm. I scanned my issues to replace these but several issues I no longer owned and this was one such issue until a while ago when I managed to acquire a print copy. Today I decided it was time to fix this so now available is a newly minted and more importantly, a complete version of this issue.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/atomic-010.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
PC Gamer (USA) issue 92 has been scanned and added to the download area.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/pcgamerusa-092.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
PC Gamer (USA) issue 90 has also been scanned and added to the download area.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/pcgamerusa-090.jpg
KiwiKiwiSuper Admin
Posted 1 year ago
Atomic MPC issue 12 gets an update, adding the missing advertising pages to create a complete issue. This is the last issue I have of those early issues requiring fixes. The search continues for the remaining issues ....

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/atomic-012.jpg
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.