Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

The Graphic Adventure thread

Last updated on 3 months ago
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Wink

Kiwi is rightly cheesed off that no one knows how to use the forums properly, so here's a new thread where we can post things, and certain someones can choose a particular statement and quote it out of context without reading all of the posts both before and after it, thus making their commentary usually veer completely off topic or else repeat something that's already been said. Wink

slider1983 wrote:

There were tons of great point and click adventures made in Europe. The first Simon the Sorcerer game was awesome! Revolution's stuff was good as well. I found Sierra's stuff was punishing when it didn't need to be.

A perfect first use of this new thread, bravo! Indeed, UK-developed Simon the Sorcerer and many of Revolution's games are decent additions to the genre. Of course, reading the rest of the comments before replying would have made it clear that we had already discussed that, and what was instead being discussed was non-English language European graphic adventures. In other words, nothing developed in the UK is up for discussion.

So if anyone knows a graphic adventure developed in a country where English is NOT the native language, this is your chance to speak. As I said, MOST European (as in post-Brexit EU) graphic adventures I've played have been disappointments. Many of the ones I've personally played originated in France, but I'm not suggesting that France is worse than any other country, and indeed, slider1983 points to Lost Eden as a French game that doesn't suck. Another non-English game that DOESN'T suck would be something like The Longest Journey, which was originally released in Norwegian.

As for Sierra, it's true that people who didn't grow up with it find the over-abundance of ways to die an unwanted challenge, but keep in mind that they literally created the graphic adventure genre. It was years before Lucasarts introduced the more friendly design aesthetic of zero deaths/no dead ends. The rest of us who grew up playing Sierra classics pre-Lucasarts simply lived by the mantra "save early and save often."

OK, and as a special bonus carryover from the previous thread, this is an absolute gem:

slider1983 wrote:

kitsunebi wrote:

including a Dragon Ball game, a game starring a celebrity who would later become a convicted sex offender
Depending on who you speak to. Say Vic's name three times on social media and a Ron Toye will pop up to say bad things about him. Wink

...GrinGrin What the @#%^ does any of that even MEAN? GrinGrin I have absolutely NO IDEA!!!GrinGrinGrin Replying to a post without reading all the comments is strictly amateur-hour. Replying to a post with a complete non-sequitur is some next-level genius-type $#!&!
OUTSTANDING!!!GrinLike
S
slider1983
Posted 5 months ago
You're the only one making a problem of this dude. I'm off to celebrate my birthday, something that's more use of my time and more important than engaging in your pedantic complaining. 👍
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Fantastic!Grin Would that every day was your birthday, eh? A happy birthday to you today and a very merry un-birthday to you tomorrow and every day after! Play a graphic adventure to celebrate, and enjoy your cake!
i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/76/95/7b76956136e8bd87bb98b8c0659328dc.jpg
lararelarare
Posted 5 months ago
Looks really great, but probably tastes awful. Way too much sugar.
Happy birthday, Slider!

What about...

Shadow of the Comet (1993) and Prisoner of Ice (1995), by Infogrames
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/413-call-of-cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet-dos-screenshot-cobble-shows.gif
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/4833-prisoner-of-ice-dos-screenshot-something-breaks-free-of-the.gif
Syberia (2002), by Microïds
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/28318-syberia-windows-screenshot-talking-to-our-mechanical-friend.jpg
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia (1994) and Hollywood Monsters (1997), by Pendulo Studios
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/9580-igor-objective-uikokahonia-dos-screenshot-the-cemetery.gif
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/23964-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-am-i-disturbing-something.gif
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
I need to give Syberia another try sometime. I made the mistake of buying it for the Xbox when I saw it on sale super-cheap once. But playing graphic adventures on consoles is like playing fighting games on PCs. It's just not right. I tried playing it, but...ugh...gave up quickly. This was back when we connected our consoles to regular non-HD TVs, so the Xbox visuals were muddy as hell compared to what the PCs graphics are. Also, using a gamepad to control a graphic adventure is some sort of mortal sin, I think.

I've never heard of those last two games you mentioned...

Feel free to take this thread wherever from this point on, btw. No need to keep things region-restricted.

Anyone have any "guilty pleasures" graphic adventures? As in, games that aren't necessarily remembered as classics, but you enjoyed? For me, I'll go with Manhunter: New York and Manhunter: San Francisco. These games were published by Sierra, but didn't use Sierra's typical interface, nor did they contain any dialogue or narration whatsoever. But I thought the system of using a computer tracker to trace the paths of suspects, then visit the locations they went to and try to figure out what they did there was original and ingenious. The games are also an odd mix of dark and violent combined with elements of sheer goofiness that gave them a unique flavor, despite their primitive EGA graphics.
www.giantbomb.com/a/uploads/original/11/117445/1630959-manhunter.png
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 5 months ago
The closest I got to playing an adventure game was the original Phantasmagoria by Sierra. Very dark that was!!
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago

Kiwi wrote:

@Kiwi - The closest I got to playing an adventure game was the original Phantasmagoria by Sierra. Very dark that was!!

Alas, the only frightening thing in Phantasmagoria was the acting. Ahh...the early days of CD-ROMs, when everyone thought that FMV starring random shmucks on the game's staff and the odd "actor" found at the local community center theater troupe was "good enough."

It does open up another potential topic, though...FMV graphic adventures that don't suck (a rare breed, indeed):
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
The Tex Murphy Series (beginning with Under A Killing Moon, as the first two games were pre-FMV)
(Super bummed that the 7th Tex Murphy was canceled earlier this year, btw. Tex is the exception to "games starring the game's designer" rule)
https://youtu.be/Fubvpa5w0ps
B
bigkev
Posted 5 months ago
Blazing Dragons was my guilty pleasure graphic adventure. On paper it doesn't sound too appealing: Dragon inventor wanders around fairytale backgrounds, nattering to characters and using his invention book to solve puzzles. But it had some amusing humor based on the Monty Python which made it that bit more enjoyable.

I also remember a graphic adventure where a clown bomber blows up a cafe, I think it was Broken Sword?
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Sounds like you've been graphic-adventuring on consoles. Sad
Seriously, though, Broken Sword was a PC game (I'm just guessing you may have played it on the PlayStation due to your other guilty pleasure being a console exclusive). The first game in the series was released in the USA for PCs as Circle of Blood (the console ports were given the original "Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars" title.)

I've never played Blazing Dragons, nor have I seen the animated series it's based on.
B
bigkev
Posted 5 months ago
Lol, I did play them using a console controller but soon realized that the PC mouse was definitely the way to go after playing Monkey Island on the PC. Pfft

Broken Sword was great, I can remember spending hours wandering around the parisian sewer not realizing I had to pick up the red dot in the background which just so happened to be the clowns nose. Grin
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
The mouse was the best and the worst thing to ever happen to the genre. It made the games easier and more accessible, and it certainly made them far easier for the developers to create, but doing away with the text parser also took away a lot of creativity from the games and a certain sense of satisfaction on the part of the player.

There's a huge difference between using a mouse to click "use gem on self" and having to type "put gem in mouth." The mouse system lets you solve the puzzle without actually having any idea exactly how you should interact with the gem. Perhaps the player thinks using it on himself will cause his character to shake it, or rub it, or lick it, or hit himself in the head with it. The mouse interface solves half of the puzzle for the player by not requiring the player to think of putting it in their mouth.

Btw, if you know what game I'm talking about without googling, you'll know exactly what I mean about "removing a sense of satisfaction from the player." This particular puzzle (from a parser-based game) was sort of notorious as having an obtuse and difficult solution. But you know what? Whether you finally figured it out by yourself or had to rely on a hint from a hint line or clue book, it's a puzzle you'll never forget for the rest of your life.
S
slider1983
Posted 4 months ago
Thanks for the happy birthdays. Been feeling a bit more depressed this year than usual so thanks for the kind wishes.

If this thread isn't region restricting games I'd say one of my favourite point and click adventures ever and one of my fav games ever is Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity. It really makes good use of the licence. I suppose to get the most enjoyment out of it you have to like the show. Really difficult game to get running at the time and almost impossible to get running today (thank you DOSBox).

One of the more disappointing games that did away with mouse clicking in favour of using the keyboard is Simon the Sorcerer 3D. It was very outdated in design even then but I admire some of it's ambition. One particular puzzle involving knocking on a door as a password must go down as one of the worst puzzles ever constructed.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Speaking of Star Trek, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rights are both outstanding graphic adventures. And with the CD-ROM editions you get all the voice acting from the original cast members. Both of those games should be in every graphic adventure fan's collection, and every Star Trek fan's collection as well, since playing both is like getting a bunch of brand new TOS episodes. Luckily, both of these games can be found on both GOG and Steam.
www.gamingonlinux.com/uploads/articles/tagline_images/22553571id5350gol.jpg
S
slider1983
Posted 4 months ago
Yeah these are indeed classics. A Final Unity is like those except it's got the TNG cast. Well really well developed games.
T
Tricky
Posted 4 months ago

slider1983 wrote:

@slider1983 - You're the only one making a problem of this dude. I'm off to celebrate my birthday, something that's more use of my time and more important than engaging in your pedantic complaining. 👍

Happy belated birthday @slider1983! I think you've handled some unwarranted attacks extremely well of late. Know that I appreciate all your comments, regardless of whether they fit into someone's unfriendly and overly strict guidelines.

I'm not sure why I've never played the Star Trek adventure game. As a lover of both Star Trek and adventure games (I created https://advgamer.blogspot.com/ over a decade ago), I really should give it a go some time.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Well, ST: 25th Anniversary came out in 1992 which is after you left your blog, but it has been covered there since then. They still haven't gotten to 1993's Judgement Rights, though, and A Final Unity isn't till 1995. You should definitely pick up the classic Trek games from GOG (or Steam if you prefer DRM for some reason). Hopefully A Final Unity will be made available someday...

You're free to interpret my attitude as unfriendly, it's no skin off my nose. Just trust me that from my point of view at least, I'm only reacting defensively to what I consider the extremely rude behavior of having someone respond directly to posts I've written without actually thoroughly reading what I wrote. It may be accidental, but it's happened so many times that it feels to me like I'm being trolled. We all interpret people's online personas differently, I suppose.
Ultimately, I'll allow the 150 or so magazines I've scanned to speak for me (even if OGM's membership isn't necessarily the ideal target audience for most of them.) Everything else is just talk.Smile
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Okay .... here's my take on the toing and froing going on around here of late:

@strider1983 - You have been going off tangent on posts of late and some have had even myself confused about the "why?" of the comments. Unfortunately, some of these do some across as argumentative sometimes so I can understand where someone may take them the wrong way!!

@kitsunebi - While I do get WHY some of the comments have annoyed you I think everyone just needs to ramp things down a wee tad and maybe just disregard comments that veer off topic? That includes me and everyone else around here.

@Tricky - There was no reason whatsoever to say anything other than you appreciate reading @slider1983's comments. Anything else is just inflammatory and in my eyes just aimed at continuing the dialog in the wrong direction.

This site exists for members to have access to cool magazine scans and while everyone has different opinions and is free to share them in the forums I expect people to be civil to each other. Criticism is fine if it is constructive... not if it is destructive!!

Finally .... I NEVER played any of the Star Trek games. In fact, outside of Phantasmagoria I don't think I have played any adventure games at all unless you classify Ultima Underworld as one. I did play an excellent cross-over game though ... Duke Nukem 3D Grin
Edited by Kiwi on 02/06/2021, 4 months ago
lararelarare
Posted 4 months ago
* Syberia author and artist Benoît Sokal passed a few days ago...
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...sokal-dies

* One more good non-English adventure I remembered: The Last Door (2014), by The Game Kitchen

www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/1005554-the-last-door-collector-s-edition-windows-screenshot-a-nun.png

* @kitsunebi mentioned playing Syberia on an Xbox (buuuuuh, PC rules!!). I just wanted to mention that it is now possible to emulate many Xbox and Xbox 360 games on PC, thanks to https://xemu.app/ & https://cxbx-reloaded.co.uk/ and https://xenia.jp/. Maybe material for an Emulation Thread.

* @Kiwi regarding Star Trek games... What about Elite Force 1 and 2? Interesting FPSs developed by Raven Software and Ritual Entertainment. They might feel a bit dated nowadays? Good games anyway for any FPS aficionado.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
I'm just happy to see posts actually about graphic adventures here. Smile

Kiwi wrote:

Finally .... I NEVER played any of the Star Trek games. In fact, outside of Phantasmagoria I don't think I have played any adventure games at all unless you classify Ultima Underworld as one. I did play an excellent cross-over game though ... Duke Nukem 3D Grin

No, Ultima Underword is a decent game, but it's nothing like a graphic adventure. And if Phantasmagoria is your only brush with the genre, it stands to reason that you wouldn't think much of it, since that game isn't exactly the type to show up on anyone's list of favorites. I don't get the joke about Duke Nukem. A crossover between a 3D shooter and a....what? Strip club simulator?Wink

@larare Hey, I only bought Syberia for Xbox because it was on sale for $10. Though I should have realized that that price was $10 too much. Pfft No worries, though - the PC version is in my GOG account, I just haven't ever gotten around to playing it (I hardly ever play games anymore).

In other (maybe?) graphic adventure news, Ken and Roberta Williams are making a new game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hvFv...hvFvLdReXM
T
Tricky
Posted 4 months ago

Kiwi wrote:

@Kiwi - @Tricky - There was no reason whatsoever to say anything other than you appreciate reading @slider1983's comments. Anything else is just inflammatory and in my eyes just aimed at continuing the dialog in the wrong direction.

You're right Kiwi. It was the wrong way to deal with it, so I apologise.

Let's focus on graphic adventure games. I didn't know that Benoît Sokal died recently. I really enjoyed the Syberia games that I played (1 & 2). In fact, along with The Longest Journey, those were the games that got me back into adventure gaming and inspired me to start the blog. Great times!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.