Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Official PlayStation Magazine (UK) is dead!!

Last updated on 3 months ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 5 months ago
So today my iPad app updates included a name change for OPM (UK) magazine to Play. Where have we seen this name before??Pfft

So everyone who has a sub to the old mag has now been cut over to this new one and issue 01 is available on the app. Hmmm ... even though the old OPM issues are still available one wonders about whether to make them available or not? Conundrums!!

Clearly individual console mags are going the way of the Dodo!!
J
Jason
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Yeah I saw some discussion around this on the Facebook mag collectors group and saw it updated as Play on Readly. I had a read of the issue and nothing's really changed in the design or content. Word was that they simply didn't want to pay the fee to license the Playstation name.
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 5 months ago
I wonder why they bothered to change the issue numbering then? Just seems easier to keep the current numbering. However, I wonder, given the fact it's now the ONLY console mag left, how long they can actually keep it going?

Are PlayStation readers more dedicated than Xbox/Nintendo fans and they buy more mags?

Future's rationale around dumping the other mags is hard to figure if console sales go as the Switch has sold like gangbusters at around 80 million units since its introduction in 2017 yet no-one there thinks there's a market for a magazine?
J
Jason
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
It's a wonder anyone is buying any Future magazine, well subscribers anyway. Their subscription service is a complete shitshow based on most Retro Gamer subscriber's experiences.
But it is odd why the Playstation only magazine seems to stick around, as you say, Nintendo sales dwarf PS5. Xbox I can understand them canning that.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Wait, so there's a new UK mag called Play which is different from the old UK mag called Play? Or is it a continuation of the old one?

I'm just kidding, I don't care. Grin

media.giphy.com/media/bqalUGFYfyHzW/giphy.gif
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Yeah, but now I have to add another version of Play (UK) to the site. Grrrr!!!
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 5 months ago
Well, Wikipedia says it's the same magazine, "resurrected." I guess you could call it vol.2 or something. Or just ignore it. It's too new to be adding right now, anyway.
S
slider1983
Posted 5 months ago

Jason wrote:

Word was that they simply didn't want to pay the fee to license the Playstation name.
I had no idea they had to pay for the name 'officially'. I thought the mags were licenced and controlled by the companies for free to promote their consoles. Sad

Kiwi wrote:

Future's rationale around dumping the other mags is hard to figure if console sales go as the Switch has sold like gangbusters at around 80 million units since its introduction in 2017 yet no-one there thinks there's a market for a magazine?
Not physically I guess. Switch is basically the dumping ground for most games ever made so it would probably be better just to make a generic magazine if they did.
J
Jason
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
We were talking about the Aussie edition of this magazine in another thread. I went to a newsagent today and the May issue is still the latest available, and sitting right next to it are fresh copies of the UK Play.

So I'm guessing that means another magazine has bitten the dust, and we'll only get the UK Play now.

That leaves PC Powerplay as the only regular aussie gaming magazine left now, and theres very little aussie content left in that now Sad
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Yeah, PC PowerPlay is just rehashed content from PC Gamer (UK) so you was well say there is no local Ozzie content left now .... period!! Pretty darned sad!!
J
Jason
Admin
Posted 4 months ago
Yeah they get lazy too, they don't even bother removing mention of pounds and swap it with dollars in some of the articles when prices are mentioned in the hardware sections. The only local content seems to be the indie game reviews and thats a few pages.
S
slider1983
Posted 3 months ago

Jason wrote:

@Jason - We were talking about the Aussie edition of this magazine in another thread. I went to a newsagent today and the May issue is still the latest available, and sitting right next to it are fresh copies of the UK Play.
The covers for Play UK promote themselves as the best Sony magazine. Well now they'll probably the only one! 😂

Magazines Direct now have about five video game related mags for sale: Play UK, Maximum PC, PC Gamer UK, PC Gamer US, Retro Gamer and Edge. I think I'm not leaving any out. In terms of contemporary content I hope Edge survives.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.