Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

New Releases 03/2021

Last updated on 21 days ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 2 months ago
With the migration of content continuing from the old site platform I am slowly adding new content at the same time. March sees the remaining 37 issues of the now defunct Gamecca magazine added so we have all 107 issues in the download area.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/gamecca-078.jpg
Edited by Kiwi on 31/03/2021, 21 days ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 2 months ago
Another defunct magazine seeing a bevy of issues added is Games tm (UK) with a pile of missing digital issues now available ...

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/games-tm-109.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago
GamesMaster has been migrated to the new site and all Nipedley's scanned game guide supplements have been added to the section as well.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/gm-073-supp-greatest-tips-book-17.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago
Thanks to JabbaTheGamer and Jason we now have issues 18, 20, 21, 28, 31, 35, 36, 56 and 61 of Official Xbox Magazine (USA) preserved and available for members in the download area.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/xbox-usa-036.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago
****** NEW RELEASE ALERT!!! ******

Issues 10 - 13 of XBN (Xbox Nation) are now available thanks to JabbaTheGamer and Jason.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/xbn-010.jpg
Edited by Kiwi on 15/03/2021, 1 month ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

PSM (USA) issue 116 is now available.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/psm-usa-116.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

Issues 32, 37, 39, 53 and 58 of Official Xbox Magazine (USA) are now available thanks to JabbaTheGamer and Jason.

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/xbox-usa-032.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

Ten issues of PC Format have been added to the site. They are 106 - 112, 114 ,117 and 122. Thanks go out to andynick for the donation and Nipedley for the scanning.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/pcformat-109.jpg
Edited by Kiwi on 20/03/2021, 1 month ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

Ten issues of Official UK PlayStation Magazine have been added to the site, those being 68, 71, 77, 80, 81, 82, 86, 87, 88 and 89. Awesome!!

Note: Several of these issues include the digital cover taken from the original print master by Future PLC. A couple also have the masters of the disc inlays added as well. Where the digital cover has replaced the scanned cover at the front of the magazine the scanned cover is now archived at the rear of the magazine so you have both.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/opsx-uk-086.jpg
Edited by Kiwi on 20/03/2021, 1 month ago
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

Issues 02, 03, 09, 14 and 15 of XBN (Xbox Nation) are now available thanks once again to JabbaTheGamer and Jason

oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/xbn-015.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 1 month ago

A further ten issues of PC Format have been added to the site as I continue trying to get andynick/Nipedley's scans added to the download area. The issues in question are 137 - 139, 141 - 144, 149, 151 and 152. I am not 100% sure but I think I am seeing something of a theme with the covers of this magazine!! Pfft

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/pcformat-152.jpg
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 29 days ago

A grand total of 70 additional digital issues of Famitsu have just been added to the download area. Even if you just flip through at 2 seconds per page, you're still looking at around 8 hours of browsing, so better hop to it!

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/famitsu_1420_001.jpg
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 28 days ago

HEY THERE, SATURN FANS!!!!

<crickets chirping>

But seriously, the Saturn was huge in Japan - arguably Sega's most successful system in its home country, actually. So here's an issue of Saturn Fan from April 1998 I've scanned for you to enjoy.

www.oldgamemags.net/infusions/downloads/images/saturn_fan_127_kitsunebi_001.jpg
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 28 days ago
This and those Famitsu scans are awesome. Your scans are way better than the digital versions of course but it's really neat having some alternative content on the site. I love the ads and artwork on Japanese mags. Black Matrix in Saturn Fan. Hmmm!!! Pages are so cluttered yet look really great if you know what I mean!! Far better than that American GameFan type crap!!
E
etphonehome1973
Posted 27 days ago
THX everyone for the new issues!

Hi from Portugal!
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 25 days ago
Hi from Japan!

Forgot to mention another 30 or so digital issues of Famitsu were added to the downloads. Along with our scans, we've now got 125 downloads in our Famitsu section. That's a looong way from when I scanned my first Famitsu years ago (which at the time, was the only issue available at any of the known English-language magazine sharing sites.) Of course, that still leaves over 1,500 issues of Famitsu left to go...Shock

Where's a Japanese Nipedley when you need one? Pfft
T
thatretrovideogamer
Posted 24 days ago
Really looking forward to reading through the Famitsu issues! Amazing work as always!
S
slider1983
Posted 24 days ago
It's nice to have the opportunity to read these but I'm a little confused. Are we allowed to have Famistu's on here to download that are still sold or has that rule been lifted now? I don't mind either way but I thought I'd query this with you Kiwi.

kitsunebi wrote:

@kitsunebi - ****** NEW RELEASE ALERT!!! ******A grand total of 70 additional digital issues of Famitsu have just been added to the download area. Even if you just flip through at 2 seconds per page, you're still looking at around 8 hours of browsing, so better hop to it!
I just wanted to ask you a question: if I convert CBR files to PDF should the file size be the same or will it be more or less than the CBR size?
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 24 days ago

It's nice to have the opportunity to read these but I'm a little confused. Are we allowed to have Famistu's on here to download that are still sold or has that rule been lifted now? I don't mind either way but I thought I'd query this with you Kiwi.

Kiwi can handle answering this one. However, I suspect one of the possible explanations for this might have to do not with whether or not those issues are being sold, but whether or not they can be purchased by members here. Famitsu is digitally sold in only one location, the publisher's online store, called Bookwalker. Go on, find it on google and give it a whirl - try to buy an issue. Hopefully your Japanese is up to snuff, because they don't offer an English-language option (their international site does not carry Famitsu). Challenge 1 will be finding Famitsu on their site in the first place. Challenge 2 will be figuring out how to register. Then, you may or may not face challenge 3: whether or not you'll even be allowed to purchase it if your address is outside of Japan. I obviously can't confirm this myself (having a Japanese address), but I do know that there are many books and magazines on their site which, due to licensing issues, cannot be legally sold outside of Japan (like how many places won't sell DVDs or games outside of their intended regions). Even if challenge #3 isn't an issue (and I'm not sure that it isn't), how many of our members are going to be able to overcome challenge #1-2?

I just wanted to ask you a question: if I convert CBR files to PDF should the file size be the same or will it be more or less than the CBR size?

You've asked this same question and had it answered several times in the past, so it seems you might not be understanding the answer, so I'll try to put it in analogous terms. Be warned that it isn't actually possible to answer your question in the way you seem to be hoping for, but please bear with meSmile:

Think of a magazine as a CD. That's the original.

Next, you rip the CD and create Mp3 files. This is scanning to jpg. Just like Mp3 is the most common compression format for audio, a jpg is the most common compression format for images. Also, just as Mp3 is a lossy format, meaning that data is lost in the compression/encoding process, a jpg is likewise a lossy compression format.

At this point there is no need for anything further. You can listen to the Mp3s, or you can view the jpgs (a CBR is simply a folder of jpgs held in a lossless RAR container which does not affect them in any way.)

However, you COULD (for some reason) decide you want to convert your lossy Mp3s into a different lossy audio format, like ogg vorbis or the AAC format used by iTunes (mp4). This is called transcoding, and when going from a lossy format to another lossy format (such as converting Mp3 to AAC mp4), it introduces what is called "generation loss," a measurement of just how much more inferior the transcoded copy is to the original due to data lost during re-encoding.

Converting jpgs (CBR) to PDF is a lossy transcode process which introduces generation loss. (Likewise, converting a PDF to jpgs is also a lossy transcode). Transcoding from lossy to lossy is very much frowned upon by all media-sharing communities (audio, video, images) and should never be done to files intended to be shared with others, since it introduces inferior copies subject to generation loss into the community. So, let's suppose someone transcodes an Mp3 to an mp4, then at some point in the future, someone downloads that mp4 and decides to transcode it back into an Mp3, then shares that file...now there's a file with multiple generations of loss floating around.

However, if you have some personal reason why you absolutely must have your audio files in a particular format, or you simply must have all of your magazines in PDF format, there's nothing stopping you from creating such transcodes for your own private use. One generation of loss isn't usually sufficient to "ruin" a file, and the differences may not even be perceptible without close scrutiny. But to answer your specific question about filesize is impossible. The size of the transcoded file can be any size you like, depending on the type of compression applied as the files are re-encoded. Your output file (in this case a PDF) could be much smaller, or it could be much larger. Transcoding can even be done within the exact same file format (for example, transcoding a 128kpbs Mp3 to a 320kbps Mp3, which will decrease the audio quality even though the filesize will become much larger). The only thing guaranteed when transcoding from lossy to lossy (as in CBR to PDF) is that the quality of the transcoded file will be worse, due to the generation loss that occurs when the file is re-encoded in a different lossy format.
S
slider1983
Posted 24 days ago

kitsunebi wrote:

However, I suspect one of the possible explanations for this might have to do not with whether or not those issues are being sold, but whether or not they can be purchased by members here.
That was my only guess as well. Good point! Smile

kitsunebi wrote:

Converting jpgs (CBR) to PDF is a lossy transcode process which introduces generation loss. (Likewise, converting a PDF to jpgs is also a lossy transcode). Transcoding from lossy to lossy is very much frowned upon by all media-sharing communities (audio, video, images) and should never be done to files intended to be shared with others, since it introduces inferior copies subject to generation loss into the community. So, let's suppose someone transcodes an Mp3 to an mp4, then at some point in the future, someone downloads that mp4 and decides to transcode it back into an Mp3, then shares that file...now there's a file with multiple generations of loss floating around.
Don't worry, they're just for my own archive collection. I'll take on board what you say about loss of quality. Before what I was doing was using a free online converter or using Windows print to convert the files. The problem is while it reduced the file size it would blow up the picture (splitting each page into four separate quarters) and take out a lot of quality. However...

I rather stupidly never thought I could be using my ScanToPDF program to do the job. Essentially it's a case of recompiling the files into a PDF which doesn't take a long time to do for one file alone. The file size is indeed smaller however the picture is not blown up, is the correct size and from a couple of comparisons I've done I haven't noticed any noticeable drops in quality that weren't already present on original scan. The time consuming part now comes from having to go back and redo ALL the magazines I used online converters and Windows PDF printer function for. Frown
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.