Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

will there be a complete Ngamer collection?

Last updated on 10 days ago
A
AwsomeVenustoise
Posted 19 days ago
Hi, I just wanted to know will there be a complete Ngamer collection here? I know that outofptint archive is building it up very slowly but there were Ngamers on the old site.
J
Jason
Admin
Posted 19 days ago
10 issues of NGamer are in the "still to be added to the site" pile. However we don't have a full collection. I can't speak for Kiwi but I have none to scan either, so unless we can find someone with a pile to offload that might be all we have a for a while.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 19 days ago
I seem to remember this topic being covered in the forums on the old site. As I recall, the answer was that no one currently scanning magazines here has unscanned copies of this title.

As such, there are two tried and proven ways to see more issues scanned:
1. Obtain and send issues to someone willing to scan them.
2. Obtain and scan issues yourself.

Option 1 requires a bit of money for shipping and (if you don't already own them) purchasing the mags.
Option 2 may require you to not only purchase the mags, but also a scanner as well. It will also require you to put in hours of unpaid labor required to debind, scan and edit the mags.

(Now that I say it, I feel sort of like an idiot for going the "option 2" route. What was I thinking?? Pfft)
M
mrmariomaster
Posted 12 days ago
I can't log on to the old website anymore so see it but there was someone offering a full collection of NGamer from Staffordshire, UK. I remember it involved a user with a Blackadder profile picture. I am also really interested in a full NGamer collection.
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 12 days ago

mrmariomaster wrote:

@mrmariomaster - I can't log on to the old website anymore so see it but there was someone offering a full collection of NGamer from Staffordshire, UK. I remember it involved a user with a Blackadder profile picture. I am also really interested in a full NGamer collection.

A Blackadder profile pic would probably be andynick. You were in contact with him on the forum about 7 months ago offering up your services to scan his Nintendo mags. I haven't kept up with it since then, so I'm not sure how many mags you've scanned in the meantime.
M
mrmariomaster
Posted 12 days ago

kitsunebi wrote:

@kitsunebi -

mrmariomaster wrote:

@mrmariomaster - I can't log on to the old website anymore so see it but there was someone offering a full collection of NGamer from Staffordshire, UK. I remember it involved a user with a Blackadder profile picture. I am also really interested in a full NGamer collection.

A Blackadder profile pic would probably be andynick. You were in contact with him on the forum about 7 months ago offering up your services to scan his Nintendo mags. I haven't kept up with it since then, so I'm not sure how many mags you've scanned in the meantime.

Thank you, yes it was andynick. I did offer to scan his collection but my offer was never taken up as someone had already offered before me. If they are reading this the offer still stands!
KiwiKiwi
Super Admin
Posted 12 days ago
I still have several hundred of Nipedley's scans to get online and NGamer is not part of that lot at all!!
kitsunebikitsunebi
Admin
Posted 12 days ago

mrmariomaster wrote:

@mrmariomaster -

Thank you, yes it was andynick. I did offer to scan his collection but my offer was never taken up as someone had already offered before me. If they are reading this the offer still stands!

This advice isn't directed at you, but goes out to anyone in this situation:

Donating a magazine, let alone an entire collection of magazines, is a risk for the person giving up the mags. Most people who try their hand at scanning give up before completing a single scan; indeed, many of the donations received by our scanners are from people who had originally intended to scan the mags themselves, but realized they'd bitten off more than they could chew.

So in order for a donator to have more confidence in agreeing to a donation to a potential scanner, the best thing you can do is prove you're up to the task. Don't just offer to scan someone's magazines, also point out to them examples of all the magazines you've scanned in the past. This way, they'll be able to see not just the quality of your scans, but also (especially if you're offering to scan an entire collection) they'll have proof that you have experience scanning a large number of magazines and aren't walking into such a proposition blindly. If Nipedley offers to scan a collection, we've got mountains of evidence to suggest that he'll follow through. But if NewbieUser123 offers to scan a collection, who can say what would happen to any mags sent their way?

If you haven't scanned anything before, no problem, just get started! Not with donated mags, of course (I don't imagine many people would be willing to donate their mags to an unproven scanner), but with any mags you can get a hold of. Most of us own some gaming mags of our own we could scan, and if not, there's always eBay and the like. The only real prohibitive cost might be the scanner itself, but if you've already got one of those (as the OP indicated), then the cost involved is relatively insignificant. Just scan, scan, scan, share the results here or elsewhere, and then making an offer to scan other people's mags will have some real weight behind it.
S
slider1983
Posted 10 days ago
Completely agree with Kitsunebi here, scanning large quantities would most likely be done by someone who has a record of doing that already. I would try to research a little the person you'd want to donate to. Ask them for examples of what they've scanned in the past.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.